Tuesday, September 2, 2014
When in doubt use ICE!
Most conditions respond better to ice than they do to heat, especially if there is an injured joint involved. Ice does a couple of things for an injured area. First it cools the area which helps to reduce swelling and pain. Second, by cooling the area and decreasing blood flow to the injury, once the ice is removed your body innately works to warm that area back up by sending in fresh blood. With that fresh blood comes fresh nutrients to help the injured area heal faster.
If your doctor has instructed you to ice the injured area, you should do so for up to fifteen minutes and then stop doing so for at least an hour before you apply ice again. NEVER APPLY ICE FOR MORE THAN 20 MINUTES IN AN HOUR. Always wrap a towel around the ice pack or use it over clothing because you should never put an ice pack directly on your skin.
How to purchase or make an ice pack:
· For your convenience, we sell the large, high-quality ice packs like the ones that we use at Christopher Chiropractic for $10.00.
· You can buy ice packs similar to the ones we use here at most drug stores or Wal-Mart.
· You can make your own ice pack by filling a freezer bag with a heavy-duty zip seal or a hot water bottle with 1/2 ice and 1/2 cold water. Check periodically to make sure that the ice pack is not leaking so that you don’t make a mess.
· You can also make your own ice pack by mixing one part rubbing alcohol with three parts water in a freezer bag with a heavy-duty zip seal or a hot water bottle. Since alcohol will not freeze this will make a slushy, but not solid, ice pack similar to the gel packs you can purchase here or at most drug stores. Monitor periodically to ensure that the ice pack is not leaking to avoid making a mess.
· For those who really want to save money, you can use and reuse a bag of frozen peas as an ice pack.
If you have been injured from a fall, sprain/strain, auto accident or work-related injury and are in doubt about what to do next, maybe we can help. Call our office today (606)549-4811 and we will try to answer any questions that you may have.