Many things can cause back pain including: overuse, muscle strains, auto accident injuries, sports injuries or other traumas, poor posture, obesity, and unhealthy work ergonomics. As chiropractors we deal mainly with the misalignments of the spinal bones that occur from trauma, repetitive activities and long term bad posture. These misalignments can disrupt the communication systems in your body causing pain and restricted range of motion.
Research has shown chiropractic to be one of the most cost effective treatments for back pain and is recommended as the "only safe and effective, drugless form of initial professional treatment for acute low back problems in adults." http://www.acatoday.org/level2_css.cfm?T1ID=13&T2ID=68
Just a few of the tips we give our patients to prevent back pain include:
- Get your spine checked regularly for misalignments
- Walk at least 20 - 30 minutes a day to remain active
- Stretch, especially your legs and back
- Maintain proper posture
- Trade out your desk chair for a Swiss ball
- If you are sleeping on an old mattress or pillow...might be time for a new one!
- Use proper lifting techniques, including lifting with your knees and not your back.
If you suffer from back pain and want to see if chiropractic can help you, or if you have questions about chiropractic or want some more tips on preventing back pain call Christopher Chiropractic today at (606) 549-4811.