Good posture is important in helping us to stand, sit, walk and lie in positions that will place the least strain on our muscles and ligaments.One of the most common positions that most people find themselves in is sitting. Sitting improperly for long periods of time can cause stress and strain on the muscles of the neck and back.
The American Chiropractic Association has the following recommendations for maintaining proper posture when sitting:
- Keep your feet on the floor. If they don't reach the floor, use a footrest.
- Don't cross your legs. Your ankles should be directly in front of your knees.
- Keep a small gap between the back of your knees and the front of your seat.
- Your knees should be at or below the level of your hips.
- Adjust the backrest of your chair to support your low back and mid-back or use a back support.
- Relax your shoulders and keep your forearms parallel to the ground.
- Avoid sitting in the same position for long periods of time.
At Christopher Chiropractic we not only strive to help our patients get well, but we also want to enable you to stay that way once you finish a plan of care. If you have questions about proper posture or about chiropractic call (606) 549-4811 today. We will try our very best to assist you in any way possible. As always thanks for making us your family's chiropractic professionals